VA Western New York Healthcare System
Lab and Pathology Services
The Laboratory and Pathology services at VA Western New York Healthcare System provide a full range of diagnostic services in support of identifying and monitoring illnesses and other medical conditions.
The Clinical Laboratory at VA Western New York Healthcare system is open 24 hours a day, every day. The Pathology Office is open Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Samples are taken and analyzed for any of the following:
- Hematology: The study of the elements in the blood.
- Coagulation: Includes tests that study clotting.
- Chemistry: The study of substances carried in the blood.
- Serology: The study of antigen/antibody response.
- Transfusion Service: Provides safe and compatible blood and blood products to our Veteran patients who require transfusion support.
- Microbiology: The study of infectious diseases.
- Biopsy: Used to detect certain infections, cancers and other conditions.
- Throat Culture: Used to confirm bacterial infections, such as "strep throat."
- Spinal Tap: Fluid is taken from the spine to detect infections, tumors and other brain and nerve problems.
- Stool Sample: Used to check for bacteria, parasites and other organisms, or for hidden blood in stool.
- Sputum Test: A coughed up sample is used to detect certain infections, including tuberculosis, and sometimes cancer in the lungs.
- Gastric Analysis: A tube is inserted into the stomach for samples of stomach fluid. The test checks for ulcers or other conditions.
Lab and pathology exams will be ordered by your health care provider. The results can be shared with your VA health care team or outside health care providers at your request.
Buffalo VA, 2B
Batavia VA, Building 1, Ground Floor
Hours of Operation
- 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.