VA Western New York Healthcare System
Virtual Lifetime Electronic Record (VLER) Health Program
Do You See a Non-VA Health Care Provider?
What is VLER Health?
Virtual Lifetime Electronic Record (VLER) Health is a program that shares certain parts of a Veteran’s medical record electronically, safely, and privately with other approved health care facilities that are members of a secure Internet network. The VLER Health program exchanges information locally by partnering with a non-profit organization called HEALTHeLINK. HEALTHeLINK works with local physician, hospital, and insurance organizations to share health information and improve the delivery of patient care.
How will this benefit me?
Many Veterans receive a portion of their care from non-VA health care providers. Sharing certain parts of your electronic health record will help reduce the need for patients and families to carry records between health care providers. Because doctors will have more information available, it will allow them to make more informed decisions about your care.
How do I sign up?
Signing up for VLER can be done in person, by mail, by fax, or online:
• Download and fill out the HEALTHeLINK Consent Form *
Online: Simply visit https://www.ebenefits.va.gov and complete the following 4 steps:
2. Scroll down to the Health section & click MANAGE MY AUTHORIZATIONS AND PREFERENCES (VLER)
3. At the bottom of the page click on SHARE YOUR ELECTRONIC HEALTH INFORMATION WITH NON-VA HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS
4. Highlighted on this page you will find the “VLER Authorization Form” (to share your medical information) and the “VLER Health Revocation Form”(to stop sharing your medical information)
5. Print out and complete the Authorization form. Return it to your participating VAMC by fax, mail or in person
By Mail: Send completed forms to:
How can I find more information about VLER Health?
• For more information about the VLER Health program in Western New York, please visit the local Veterans Service Center (VSC) or call: (877) 771-VLER (8537)
I already signed up but decided I no longer want to participate, what should I do?
• Download and fill out the Revocation Form
Mail completed form to: