VA Western New York Healthcare System
VA Western New York Healthcare system has changed to meet the needs of the ever-growing population of women Veterans. Through our Women’s Primary Care Wellness Center, we offer complete health care for women Veterans.
Women’s Health Services at VA Western New York Healthcare System
- Obstetrics and Gynecological Services
- Pap Smears
- Maternity Care
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Mammography/Breast Care Services
- Accredited mammography services
- Breast ultrasound
- Breast surgery (biopsy, mastectomies, reconstruction)
- Full range of cancer treatment (radiation therapy, chemotherapy)
- Sexual Trauma Counseling
- Primary Care
- Bone Densitometry
- Smoking Cessation Programs
- Homeless Women Veterans Program
- Cardiac Rehabilitation/Gender Specific Cardiology Care
- Dietary Consultations
- Persian Gulf Registry
- Urinary Health/Incontinence/Biofeedback
- Women's Substance Abuse Group
- Domestic Violence Support Programs
Health care services for Veterans are provided by VA providers or accredited community providers. Every woman Veteran has the right to a health care provide trained in women’s health. Women may also request a female or male provider at their discretion.
For general information on Women’s health care and benefits, call the Women Veterans Call Center at 1-855-VA-WOMEN (1-855-829-6636).
Free Apps to women Veterans:
Preconception Care App
Our Women Veterans Program Manager advises and advocates for women Veterans. She can help coordinate all the services you may need, from primary care to specialized care for chronic conditions or reproductive health. VA health care for women Veterans includes:
- General care includes health evaluation and counseling, disease prevention, nutrition counseling, weight control, smoking cessation, and substance abuse counseling and treatment as well as gender-specific primary care, such as cervical cancer screens (Pap smears), breast cancer screens (mammograms), birth control, preconception counseling, Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine, menopausal support (hormone replacement therapy).
- Mental health includes evaluation and assistance for issues such as depression, mood, and anxiety disorders; intimate partner and domestic violence; sexual trauma; elder abuse or neglect; parenting and anger management; marital, caregiver, or family-related stress; and post-deployment adjustment or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Military Sexual Trauma (MST). Women-and men as well-may experience repeated sexual harassment or sexual assault during their military service. Special services are available to women who have experienced MST. VA provides free, confidential counseling and treatment for mental and physical health conditions related to MST. More information is available about MST from the national Women Veterans Health Care program and the VHA Office of Mental Health.
- Management and screening of chronic conditions includes heart disease, diabetes, cancer, glandular disorders, osteoporosis, and fibromyalgia as well as sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV/AIDS and hepatitis. Reproductive health care includes maternity care, infertility evaluation and limited treatment; sexual problems, tubal ligation, urinary incontinence, and others. VA is prohibited by legislative authority from providing either in-vitro fertilization or abortion services.
- Rehabilitation, homebound, and long-term care. VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language therapy, exercise therapy, recreational therapy, and vocational therapy. Homebound and long-term care services are available as well, limited to those meeting specific requirements.